Please note that this is my own personal blog and therefore the views and opinions expressed, although in no way intended to be controversial, are not necessarily those shared by my employers Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd. and Ilchester Estates . All photos are © Steve Groves unless otherwise credited.



Sunday 29 April 2012

A Bit Of A Damp Squib...

Monday 23rd to Sunday 29th April 2012...

As I mentioned in my last post, I was off work ill on Monday and so didn't get out at all. Although I returned to work the following day I was a little off sorts for most of the week and wasn't at my birding best... at least that's the excuse I'm using for not seeing most of the headliners that workmate Charlie managed to see! His highlights being...three Little Gulls (two adults and a first year), two Arctic Skuas and an Osprey. I did manage to connect with the two adult Little Gulls (which may have been last week's birds) but failed to see the skuas or Osprey.

Osprey north - Friday 27th (Charlie Wheeler). Thanks for the pic Charlie.

I did manage a few other bits and bobs despite my health and the appalling weather...the pair of Marsh Harriers were still around at the beginning of the week but  there was only a single further sighting of the male after the torrential rain and high tides mid-week and any nesting attempt may have sadly come to nothing. Despite the high water levels a few waders were around, mostly small groups of Whimbrels and Bar-tailed Godwits but also three Common Sandpipers, two Knots and a single Dunlin went into the log. Lingering winter wildfowl included single drakes of Scaup (the first year), Goldeneye (last Sunday's bird), Wigeon and Shoveler, along with a pair of Gadwall and a few Teal still. The first Swifts of the year arrived keeping company with a few more Swallows and House and Sand Martins, whilst Reed, Sedge and Willow Warblers were still moving through. As Sandwich Tern numbers continued to dwindle Common Terns reached twenty plus and at least one Arctic Tern was picked out in the horrific conditions in the Swannery embayment today.

Tawny Owl -
Up in their penthouse lets hope their breeding will be more successful than the ground nesting Marsh Harriers!

With the rain continuing to lash against the window as I write this post, as it has all day, lets hope the weather gives us (and the poor recently arrived and near moribund Swallows - finding any shelter they could today) a bit of a break tomorrow!

Bluebells in Chapel Withybed -
Hopefully a sign of more favourable spring-like weather to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment