Please note that this is my own personal blog and therefore the views and opinions expressed, although in no way intended to be controversial, are not necessarily those shared by my employers Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd. and Ilchester Estates . All photos are © Steve Groves unless otherwise credited.



Tuesday 11 October 2011

All Quiet On The Western Fleet

Tuesday 11th October 2011
I awoke to the sound of a Chiffchaff calling outside my bedroom window but that was the only real migrant I had all day. It's just so quiet at the moment. To add to yesterday's single Wheatear, Steve Hales informed me he had a single Swallow over as he was strimming a new net ride for the wagtail roost. Today though no Wheatears or Swallows and the only overhead passage noted were three Skylarks going west. A Redshank was new in and the first I'd seen for a few weeks but best bird of the day was a brief Arctic Tern during the 4pm feed which I was unable to photo before it flicked over the beach and into Lyme Bay. I can't believe it's OCTOBER! I hope things liven up soon.

Lapwing & Redshank at the 'Fleet Pipe'. The only two wader species present today. There were several more Lapwing in the meadow where I also heard a Calidrid, probably a Curlew Sandpiper but frustratingly it never dropped in.

No comments:

Post a Comment