Please note that this is my own personal blog and therefore the views and opinions expressed, although in no way intended to be controversial, are not necessarily those shared by my employers Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd. and Ilchester Estates . All photos are © Steve Groves unless otherwise credited.

Thursday, 13 October 2011

Eastern Promise

Wednesday 12th October 2011

It looked slightly more promising in the morning with around 100 Swallows powering SE and around 50 Skylarks headed in the opposite direction, while groups of Siskins and meadow Pipits just zipped about in no particular direction. Highlight though was a Spoonbill that flew up the Fleet during the morning feed. Initially it kept on going toward Bexington, however it did a U-turn, circled over the western reedbeds, then more obligingly it dropped down on the Chesil's Fleet shoreline by the 'Tank Teeth'. Nipping out to 'Helen Hide' I managed to get a couple of very distant record shots...
Immature (Eurasian) Spoonbill

and with a Little Egret (left).

Also what was presumably Tuesday's Arctic Tern reappeared but like the Spoonbill it was quite distant...

Arctic distant in fact that I couldn't exactly be sure it was the 1st winter I assumed it would be.
Thursday 13th October 2011
An even more promising start to the day today with many Chiffchaffs calling from the withybeds and a few Swallows feeding overhead. Among the many Siskins flying around were also six (presumed Lesser) Redpolls and a Wheatear was in the Swannery field. While sweeping the 'Withy Walk', my attention was drawn to some loud familiar 'sweest' calls emanating from the lower withybed. With my suspicions aroused I retraced my steps and there indeed a few metres away was a Yellow-browed Warbler, fresh in from Siberia, feeding in the sallows on the edge of the path. Reaching for my camera the radio suddenly burst into life and I was compelled to leave before I had a chance to even attempt to get a shot. Retuning a few minutes later there was no sign but I heard it again off and on throughout the day and although I didn't manage to see it again mates Luke and Alan who popped in did manage to connect with it while I was busy with the 4 o'clock feed. During which the Arctic Tern also put in another appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment