Please note that this is my own personal blog and therefore the views and opinions expressed, although in no way intended to be controversial, are not necessarily those shared by my employers Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd. and Ilchester Estates . All photos are © Steve Groves unless otherwise credited.



Saturday 8 October 2011

A Wry Start To October

Saturday 1st October to Friday 7th October 2011
Wryneck Abbotsbury Swannery car park (Charlie Wheeler).
Just like my blog the month began with a bit of a false start. Saturday 1st saw both Hobby and Marsh Harrier fly over but the highlight came late in the afternoon when the ticket office radioed down to say that a Wryneck had just been seen in the car park. I had only seen one previously at The Swannery in 22 years and dipped on the only other sighting. Luckily it was still present after I'd locked up for the day and I managed to connect with it on my way home. Not only was it not 'my sighting' it's not 'my photo' either as I didn't get my camera until the next day. The photo is courtesy of work mate Charlie Wheeler and my camera is courtesy of The Weymouth & District Wildfowlers to help with our conservation work at The Swannery, thanks guys!. The rest of the week was dire. Their was another Hobby on Monday but the little overhead passage there was involved just a few Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtails and Siskins. On The Fleet itself just the odd Common Sandpiper and a couple of Sandwich Terns went into the log but other waders apart from a few Lapwing and a Snipe were noted by their absence and although all the usual duck were around their numbers weren't impressive.
Kingfisher from 'Fleet Pipe Hide'
1st winter Sandwich Tern. You can just make out some juv. feathers in the wings but also its' loud begging calls directed at a nearby adult helped with the ageing!

Otter spraint - Otters have now been regular winter visitors to The Swannery again in the last few years after disappearing back in the early 70's.


Male Common Darter - the commonest Dragonfly sp at The Swannery


No comments:

Post a Comment