Please note that this is my own personal blog and therefore the views and opinions expressed, although in no way intended to be controversial, are not necessarily those shared by my employers Abbotsbury Tourism Ltd. and Ilchester Estates . All photos are © Steve Groves unless otherwise credited.



Sunday 23 March 2014

Open For Business... I Hope!

Swannery Birding Highlights Of The Week..

Monday 17th to Sunday 23rd March 2014...  


The bird of the week was the Glaucous Gull seen briefly and distantly on the Fleet shoreline of the Chesil opposite on Tuesday. It was presumably the same juvenile that has been in the area for a month or so but with the views I had I couldn't confidently age it beyond a second or third calendar year and unfortunately I didn't have my camera to hand.

New in were a single Curlew and the first couple of Sandwich Terns of the year, whilst the only 'summer migrant' passerines were again Chiffchaffs, as I still await my first Wheatear and Sand Martin of 2014 despite good numbers elsewhere.

There were no surprises wildfowl wise with a similar number and variety as last week including a single drake Scaup and typically at this time of year, a good showing of Red-breasted Mergansers and Shelducks...


Above two images a drake Shelduck (or Sheldrake if you prefer) on 'Meadow Pool' today.

The first swan's eggs were laid this week, just in time for the reopening of the attraction on Saturday the 22nd. It's been a very hard slog getting The Swannery ready after the severe flooding and all the damage and debris left behind and therefore there has been little time for birding. At least now though the pressure is off a little and I can legitimately carry out a hide round each day as part of my duties. So hopefully, from next week, my blog posts will bristle with good sightings!

No comments:

Post a Comment